Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Saban leaves Miami for Alabama

Today head coach Nick Saban left the Miami Dolphins to coach the University Of Alabama football team. He will become the highest paid coach in college football making a minimum of $30 million. He also stands to rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars from Bowl games. I am a die hard Dolphin fan and have been following this story pretty close.

At first I was hoping that Saban would stay. Despite his lack of success during the first two years of his tenure, I felt that Saban had great potential and could bring my team back to greatness. But I've changed my mind. I'm happy he is going. This is not a case of sour grapes or anything and I am not even mad at him for leaving before his contract is up. Let's face it - who wouldn't walk out on their job for $30 million?

Saban had some bad luck during his short tenure as Dolphin head coach with the irresponsible behavior of Ricky Williams and the worthlessness of Dante Culpepper. Losing your #1 Quarterback and Halfback would cripple any team. Still he kept them motivated and playing hard. Even though he will not lead us back to the promised land, I still prefer him to any of the other Dolphin coach since Don Shula. He was classy and professional.

It has been so long since the Dolphins have been a winner that my expectations for success have fallen. I am actually patient enough now to let some rebuilding take place. A change in coaches gives us an opportunity to start fresh (again). After a 6 -10 season that has to be a good thing. I am partial to Bill Parcells who currently leads the Cowboys and seems a little unhappy but there are also other coaches out there that would have a good chance of success rebuilding the Miami Dolphins .

1 comment:

Jeff Briscoe said...

I don't think Saban is that big of a loss. Another one of these guys whose scream-and-yell act didn't work on the pro level. True, he has some bad breaks. But he also made big personnel mistakes ojn offense. And he inherited a defense that was already pretty darn good. I'd like to see the Fins go after Bill Cowher if he still wants to coach. Otherwise maybe go after a hot, young assistant rather than another re-tread like some of the other names I'm hearing