Monday, January 15, 2007

Faith Without Facts: New "Museum" to say Earth is 6,000 years old

After reading this story I was ready to let loose a long insulting diatribe about how faith without facts epitomises the USA under the Bush administration (not specifically about religion either!) and is destroying the ability of our citizens to make rational decisions or develop informed opinions. But, for the moment I'll stop myself. However, I ask my readers to explain to me what they think about this. I pride myself on being open minded but stories like this leave me rolling my eyes and shaking my head. If anyone out there can defend this - I promise to look at it objectively. Of course, if anyone else wants to rip on the premise of this "museum" I won't stop you. full story

Ken Ham's sprawling creation museum isn't even open yet, but an expansion is already underway in the state-of-the art lobby, where grunting dinosaurs and animatronic humans coexist in a Biblical paradise. "I think we'll be surprised at how many people come," Ham said as he dodged dozens of designers working to finish exhibits in time for the May 28 opening. The $27 million project, which also includes a planetarium, a special-effects theater, nature trails and a small lake, is privately funded by people who believe the Bible's first book, Genesis, is literally true. For them, a museum showing Christian schoolchildren and skeptics alike how the earth, animals, dinosaurs and humans were created in a six-day period about 6,000 years ago -- not over millions of years, as evolutionary science says -- is long overdue.

No comments: