Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thursday Roundup

It's a new day and everything seems to be returning to normal in New York City. Yesterday turned out to be a pretty good day for me. By 2 I knew I wouldn't be making it to work so I decided to just enjoy the day off. Since I couldn't really go anywhere, I put myself under house arrest. I watched TV in the air conditioning, did some reading, took a nap but did not make a pot roast as I had planned (did not want to go to the store or stand over a hot stove for hours). Instead I made some pasta and a salad. I got plenty of rest and feel just great this morning. Everything turned out for the best. The New York Times has some great photos and stories from the meltdown yesterday - you can read and hear more here.

Barry Bonds hit his 756th home run on Tuesday night. I figured that since I was a kid and saw Hank Aaron hit 715 on television, I would try to catch the Bonds' home run live. I did. It was somewhat exciting and less disappointing than I thought. Yes, he used steroids and is a nasty sort of guy, but I'll give him his due today and then let it fade from memory. Alex Rodriguez seems next to challenge the record in 5 -10 years. I hope he does it in a Yankee uniform.

The Yankees got killed last night but overall they are making great progress in the race to the playoffs. They are only 1/2 game behind Detroit in the wild card race. The Tigers come to town next week and I eagerly await seeing some of that series.

The Miami Dolphins, like all other NFL teams, have opened their training camp. I know I'll be alone here rooting for the Dolphins but once again I am hoping for a return to greatness that we haven't seen in quite some time.

With the day off yesterday I got to see some of the trapped miners story. The spokesman for the company seems like a real oddball. At this point he seems to just be spinning the story to make him look good. If things turn out badly he's going to be the subject of some great ridicule and justified anger.

The Democratic debate at Solider Field in Chicago was interesting the other night. Barack looked good but Hillary seemed to strengthen her position as the most prepared. Overall, I'm not sure having debates outdoors at a football stadium is such a good idea. There was too much background noise like whistling and jeering. Very annoying. Don't look for the faint hearted Republican to try anything that unscripted.

Have a great day!!!!

No comments: