Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Hot and Bothered


I’m sitting at home hot as Hell. Yes, hot because of the weather and yes, hot because of my looks ;) but also hot as in angry. I took a class yesterday for work and had another scheduled today way down on 23rd Street. It is an easy ride on the subway. I could take the closest train, the 2 or 3 line to Times Square , switch to another train for 2 stops or so and walk a bit to get to the class. Always one to be over prepared I arrived there 45 minutes early yesterday because I wasn’t sure how long it would take. Not long.

Today is another story altogether. Now knowing it is a quick commute, I set the alarm a little later to enjoy a rare morning of sleeping in until 8:30. I woke up around 6 to hear a nice thunderstorm going on. “Ahhhh” I thought, perfect to have this on a day I can sleep in. I rolled over to enjoy a couple bonus hours of zzzz’s When I got up at 8:30 the radio was announcing that the subways were in big trouble because of the storm. I went to their web site and of course, when people really need it, it crashed. Finally, I learned that the 2, 3 lines were completely down, so I walked over to another avenue to catch a B, D, F or C train. It would take more time, require more walking but if I hurried I should make it.

I hurried - quickly coated in the sweat that pumps out of me like a fountain. I got to the station and there was a wild mob scene. It took me at least ten minutes just to get to the platform, pushing through all the hot, angry people mulling around. When I got there they announced that ALL downtown train were stopped. Arrggggg!!!!! The bus stops resembled mosh pits and it would take forever to travel 120 blocks by bus anyway. There were thousand of people were standing in the streets trying to flag down anyone to drive them downtown. It was a mess.

I decided to go back to my apartment to see what I could find out. Seems that virtually the entire subway system is currently shut down because of the rain. RAIN! As I sit here I am witnessing today devolving into my one day off. Crap! Sure, it would be nice to have a day off but I have never, ever known what to do with a day off. The whole reason for a day off has been to go out the night before! Like a good student I spent last night studying for class when I could have been tossing back a few cold ones with my pals over at Jimmy’s. (Been about a month since I was there - it’s really overdue!)

After a night at Jimmy’s I usually like to spend the next day keeping the apartment cool and dark, cooking up a great meal, watching movies and tending to any head or stomach ailments that might have resulted from any accidental overindulgence. But here I am, with tons of energy and possibly the whole day to kill. (For me -it’s too hot to go out just for fun and to have a drink or two today would only make tomorrows work day a miserable event).

So I’m going to go back to the subway station at about 1or 2 to see if I can get to work by then and avoid totally losing this day. But if it is still a mess - which at this point seems will be the case - I’ll probably get a nice pot roast and cook it up - taking my anger and frustration out later this evening on the dead cow.