Friday, August 24, 2007

Better to go topless?

Living in New York is a constant educational experience. One of the many things I have found out is that people take their baseball caps very seriously. For example, no honest New Yorker would be caught with a hat that has an adjustable band. Why? Well they are for kids - who's heads are still growing. Adults (adult males specifically) buy fitted caps (to be called "fitteds" never hats or caps). I got myself a fitted a few weeks ago at the stadium and people really notice the difference. Hard to believe but true - people on the street uptown who I see from time to time called out praise for my fitted with no encouragement on my part the very first time I wore it. It's a big deal. Also, up here one doesn't curve the bill like we did in Florida. Back there, it was the first thing you did to a hat - curved the bill so that it blocked the sun from all angles. Up here the bill is kept absolutely straight and the hat is pulled all the way down. At first I thought it looked ridiculous - now I do it that way too to avoid being the ridiculous one. Anyway here is a story about some people who took their fitted's a little too seriously. (If I get the chance, I'll post before/after pic of me in headware ... )

1 comment:

Jeff Briscoe said...

Good stuff. But I must confess. I really miss those old caps with the plastic adjustable snaps on the back. I have a bunch that I was given free or bought at Walmart for $3 or $5 over the years and I better never get rid of them. They don't make them anymore! Now the cheapie hats all have this adjustable strap that I never can get right. And my hair tends to vary so I used to enjoy the ease of adjustment, even if I probably looked pretty silly.

Not sure what I'd do if I ever owned one of those fitted hats!!