Monday, August 13, 2007

A Huckabee Surge?

Regular readers will know that my favorite of the Republican candidates for President is Mike Huckabee. While I disagree with many of his positions, I see Huckabee as a realist, humanitarian and not caught in the game of pandering to the hate mongers who have been pulling the strings in the GOP for a generation. I would have much respect for my Red American friends if they were to actually nominate this man - who has an uncharacteristic (for modern Republicans) understanding of the real world and a genuine compassion for his fellow Americans. I'm thrilled that he not only came in a strong second in the Iowa straw poll this weekend, but did so without having to "pay off" people as many of the other candidates did including first place finisher Mitt Romney. For the good of this country, I hope Mike Huckabee gets a second look now by Republicans and I hope that they come to realize that he would be an effective President and may actually be the only candidate in their party who could get a significant number of cross over votes, making him perhaps the strongest hope they have for success the general election.
Mike Huckabee finished a surprising second with 18.1 percent of the vote in the straw poll here Saturday even though he did not have the funds to rent a single bus or put a single commercial on TV. POLITICO

No comments: