Sunday, July 22, 2007

Ohhh Mitt!

If I were to make a prediction today, (I guess that's exactly what I am doing) I would say that Mitt Romney will be the GOP nominee for President. He has the money, the organization and the focus which seems to me will prevail over the lackluster campaigns of his Republican opponents (including Frederick of Hollywood). I do not support Romney, but have not been a hater. As I've mentioned, I am generally supportive of Mormons and I think that of the Republican candidates Romney is closer to having a grip on reality than anyone else in the top tier. But, he is making mistakes that will not only hurt him in this campaign, but could also permanently bury his political career. Romney is pandering to the far right and it is about to kill his chances for victory in 2008. This picture shows him holding a sign that is idiotic at best and hateful at worse. No serious candidate would be caught dead holding that up. I suspect that deep down Romney thought it was a hateful sign - but felt he had to earn points with the far right. Does he? I don't think so. These extremists have called the shots in Republican politics for a generation but I think the tide is turning.

By now, Romney has flipped flopped on so many major issues in an attempt to appease the extremists he has all but destroyed any chance of winning in a general election should he capture the nomination. I am surprised that he did not learn the lesson from John McCain. McCain had some real people power in 2000 because he rejected the nuts in his party. Fast forward to the present and McCain support is weak because regular people hate his embrace of the fascist element of the GOP and the extremists won't accept anyone who is not and has not been a purist. I guess I'm saying that any candidate who wants to be President of ALL of America must reject the far right wing. Otherwise, they will end up like Mitt Romney, looking like a hateful idiot pandering to people who deserve to be condemned - not embraced.

No comments: