Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thursday Roundup

Not much time to write but did want to get something in this week. The weather here has been unseasonable cool. Highs in the 50's or 60's and lows often dipping into the 40's. Personally, I like it but it is strange to wear sweaters and jackets in late May.

The Yankees are struggling so far this year. I was at the game Sunday night and it was a disaster. I hope that with A-Rod back we can get on a roll. Got tickets to Sunday's contest against the Mariners.

As soon as I ease back on my "Hillary Hating" she does it again. Clinton is still pressing for a rule change to include Florida and Michigan even though she has admitted in the past that they don't count! Not only that, she is making it sound like she is a champion for disenfranchised voters rather than a crass politician just trying to change the rules of a game she has loss. The Clinton's, over the past 6 months, have destroyed their legacy - at least in my mind.

The media has just noticed that John McCain's campaign is full of lobbyists, people with questionable international connections and a preacher that makes Rev. Wright look sane. Let's hope they begin to focus on this as they did with Barack Obama.

It''s sad the hear about Ted Kennedy's brain cancer. I've never been a huge fan of his but you can't deny his impressive legislative history. I also respect wealthy people who dedicate their lives to helping those ... who need help. For the past generation the Republican establishment (politicians, media, think tanks) have developed an attitude of "I got mine .. screw you". Kennedy reminds us that selfishness does not have to rule this country. I also feel bad for my Republican friends who may be losing their favorite excuse for their own poor behavior. Anyone who follows politics knows that any time a Republican has been caught doing something wrong they scream "Chappaquiddick"!! For more than 40 years Ted Kennedy's car accident has served as a shield that right wingers have used to confuse many in the public to their own hypocrisy. Now that Kennedy is dying, they will have to ease back on that - at least for a while. However, I think that 100 years from now they will still be bringing that up in order to distract the public from their own sleaziness.

Well I'm off the brave the chilly rain and make my way to work. It's my Friday so I depart with a smile on my face and a beer on my mind.

No comments: