Saturday, June 14, 2008

Russert Death as Breaking News

Like anyone else who follows politics closely, I was shocked and saddened to hear about the death of Tim Russert. Rather than try to repeat all the accolades you can find on television right now, I want to mention HOW I learned of this sad news. Since Russert was a newsman, he would probably appreciate just how fast the news got out and how much detail was made available to the public.

Russert died around 3pm. I had the day off and was listening to the radio - staying away from the TV and computer for the day. However, I am signed up for "Breaking News" from CNN and MSNBC with Twitter. Whenever news breaks, I get a text. Of course I love that. Anyway .. less than 20 minutes after Russert died I got a text informing me of the news. Less than 20 minutes!!!

I turned on the TV and starting watching the coverage, expecting the details to begin slowly trickle in. Not the case. Immediately we learned the details about when the heart attack struck, what he was doing, how CPR was tried, an ambulance came and when he was pronounced dead. A lot of details, very quickly. Most amazing, when I checked MSNBC at 7:30 ( I turned the TV off after seeing Keith Olberman boo-hooing - I'm not much into watching that) I was amazed to see Russert's doctor on the air talking, in great and graphic detail, about the autopsy he has already completed! Astounding. They were not leaving anything out. By 8:30 pm, I was already burned out by the coverage.

I mention this because it all seems so fast to me. For me to get a text even before (literally) the body got cold still amazes me. The fact that ALL the details of is death were made public immediately also was surprising. The fact that an autopsy was done with a couple hours of his death and the findings explained to the public before the news really sunk in was, frankly, a bit surreal. And the fact that within 4 or 5 hours of his passing away I was already over saturated by the news also demonstrates the times we live in.

I'm not criticizing the coverage at all. In fact, I am writing about this becomes I am impressed. For news junkie, to learn about what happened so quickly and in so much detail is really what we want. In his career Tim Russert was respected for his ability to get to the facts as directly and accurately as possible. The coverage of his death, as suffocating as it was, was in many ways an appropriate tribute to this true newsman.

No comments: