Monday, June 2, 2008

Bye Bye Bo .. and Thank You

I just heard that Bo Diddley has died. I certainly have fond memories of him not only for his music (video) but for the kindness he extended to me. When I was just starting in radio, I talked the station manager into letting me do a Saturday evening entertainment show. It was a hard sell, mostly because finding entertainment in Tallahassee can be a struggle anyway -trying to make a radio show out of it would be real tough. Well, I got the show and sure enough, on that first Saturday evening, Bo Diddley was in town to do a concert. I tried to get an interview with him for the live 6pm program and he agreed! So here I was a newbie on the radio, with a cell phone the size of a loaf of bread interviewing Bo Diddley for a full hour. He was a great guy, very nice and very cool. He talked to me as if I was a long time pro in the music biz rather than a young-ish new radio guy just trying to make a name for himself. Bo Diddley really helped me look good and undoubtedly advanced my radio career . His agreeing to give me, an unknown person on a tiny AM station in a small town, a live 60 minute interview will always be appreciated.

No comments: