Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Daytona Beach (Quick) Sand

Daytona Beach is my favorite beach of all times. All those childhood vacations and weekend trips from college have given me a variety of terrific memories. One of my favorite things about Daytona was that you could drive right on the beach! You could park, soak in the sun, get a chili dog, go swimming and then just load the car back up and drive away.

It's been a while since I have been there and I know that they have restricted cars on the beach in recent years. Probably a good idea. I saw this today and found it interesting.
Nearly 100 cars sank and became stuck in unusually soft sand on Daytona Beach, forcing beach patrol officers to close parts of the beach to all vehicles. "I have not seen it this bad in my lifetime," Beach patrol Capt. Tim Cunningham said. "Right now, the sand is like powder. It is just months and months of no rain."

No comments: