Monday, May 7, 2007

Sunday's Rocket Launch

Sunday was a great day at “The Stadium”. First of all the weather was perfect. Brilliant sunshine and mild temperatures. We won. A much needed victory and a great performance by a very young pitcher. There was a almost fight. Not that I like that kind of thing but it is an occasional occurrence at ballgames. It was my first “bench clearing” incident that I have seen in person. Very exciting. And of course there was the surprise announcement during the seventh inning stretch.

It was interesting how they made the announcement. They were playing “Take me out to the ball game” as usual when the announcer stopped the song and asked for attention for a special announcement. At first, it was a little worrisome. Something was happening, and the NYPD helicopter uncharacteristically circling the stadium all made me a little concerned that it was a security situation. But, then the announcer directed us to the big screen where Roger Clemens appeared LIVE from the press box to announce that he was returning to the Yankees.

The crowd did show their appreciation and I cheered along. However, there was NOT a RACOUS cheer at the announcement. I was surprised that most Yankee fans are like me -glad to have a new pitcher but not all a-flutter about it being Roger specifically. Careful readers of this blog have noticed that I am not that big of a Roger Clemens fan. I think he has an oversized ego, oversized contract, is a dirty player and by all means a huge prima Dona. I’m glad that he will pitch some games for us. But if Clemens expects me and the stadium to bow down in appreciation at his choice to wear the pinstripes he will surely be disappointed. And if he underperforms I predict he will hear boos louder that that ever hurled upon A Rod.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I was anxiously awaiting your blog today because I knew it would be about the return of Clemens, and I know you are not his biggest fan. Unfortunately a lot of atheletes feel that they are superheros. I was saddened but not surprised to find that the Cardinal pitcher killed in the car accident last weekend was found to be under the influence. Even my son, a ball player himself, said that athletes think they are invincible - nothing can happen to them. He thought the same thing until he broke his wrist! Guess I have wandered off track..just my thoughts.