Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Imus off the air - Sharpton off his rocker

MSNBC said that Don Imus will be taken off their air permanently and Al Sharpton wants him off the radio for good too. What a disgrace. This may not only set race relations back, but it might create a bitter debate every time somebody says something hateful. Dangerous ground and very divisive. But, here's one encouraging thing I want to share. I just got back from shopping here in Harlem. With no prompting whatsoever an older black man asked me as I was exiting "whats up with Imus?". Huh? I thought turning to him. "He just said what black people say all the time. He shouldn't be fired". "Uh Huh, every one's talking about it, huh?" I said, stepping outside. (I didn't know what to say. It was not a conversation I expected). But it made me think that maybe Rev. Al is misreading his "constituency". Maybe, we the people, are better than that.

1 comment:

Nick Stump said...

Indeed. The Kossacks don't realize they've lost a guy who's out there with their issues a good deal of the time. Imus was all over the place politically. This has been a public lynching that will come back to bite us on free speech issues for years.