Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Don Imus Controversy

Oh, how time changes things. I had recently grown more respectful of Al Sharpton and less amused by Don Imus. Up until this week, that is. By now everyone is aware that radio host Don Imus made some racist comments on his show and is now suspended for two week. He went on Rev. Al Sharptons' radio program yesterday to apologize and get a fair dose of condemnation. But enough is enough.

I do think Imus' remarks were racist, mean and stupid. He admitted it himself and has apologized many times. Al Sharpton has called for his firing but I strongly disagree. I just don't know how we would be able to define speech as inappropriate and just who would make that decision. For example, it is my sincere belief that Rush Limbaugh is not only more hateful on a daily basis than Don Imus is on rare occasions, Limbaugh is also also promoting a one party authoritarian form of government. I'd call that treasonous. I'd call that fascist. But, I believe that Limbaugh should be condemned, ridiculed and forced off the air BECAUSE PEOPLE REJECT HIS IDEAS AS UN-AMERICAN, not because of the words that he says. In fact, to put Limbaugh underground would only further embolden his sheep like supporters. Likewise, to fire Imus over these recent comments might make some people feel better, but it would hurt - not help - racial relations. Condemn the morons of the world and hope they either change or just lose their audience as the public wises up.

I probably have a unique perspective on racism. I am a white guy living in Harlem, NY and am frequently subject to racism (by much less that 1% of people - when I say frequently it is because of the thousands of people I interact with everyday. Even a tiny proportion of a large number make for something happening regularly. So while it happens more now than when I lived in Florida, it is still very unusual..if that make sense). If I feel I am prejudiced against because of my race - do I want to have that person arrested and thrown in jail? Well, maybe at first. But after a minute or two when my emotions calm down I realize it is just some loudmouth idiot free to speak his mind. He should not be arrested or fired or punished for being mean to me.

(I am suddenly reminded of the Two-Live Crew controversy in the 1980's. I bought the album back then just to support free speech - and actually thought it was hilariously funny. I had to show my ID and sign some paper saying that I wouldn't let minors listen to it. I was told that the list of album purchasers would be forwarded to law enforcement. Bizarre huh. Anyway, the point is that offensive speech should be protected in America no matter who says it).

Last night I saw Steven A. Smith on Anderson Copper 360 bitterly complaining about Imus and calling for him to be fired. Well, I sat in on the taping of one of his shows a few months ago (pic below) and I got the unmistakable sense then that he does not like white people very much. As I said, I have become familiar with what that looks like and I could tell that he has some deep dislike for whites. I felt bad for him, but I don't know his history and I understand that most people have some sort of chip on their shoulder - and it was his show - so I dealt with it. I didn't like it but I don't call from him to fired from his amateurish program buried late at night on a second tier cable channel. He is knowledgeable on sports and I guess that he would be doing much better if he wasn't so angry. But I could probably say that about myself too. We're all human. We all have faults. That's life.

Al Sharpton may just be whipping this up now so he can look extra gracious when he finally forgives Imus. If that's the case than OK, I get it. I know what it's like to stir up controversy for publicity. But if he chooses to use this divide the races than it would mark a return to the Twana Brawly phase of his life. Sharpton really started to impress me during the 2000 and 2004 Presidential debates. I hope he doesn't slip back into his old ways of dividing to conquer. By consciously using this moment to unnecessarily stir up bad feelings would actually be worse than Don Imus' racist and idiot attempt at comedy.

Don Imus has been saying stuff like this for years. He says it about Blacks, liberals, gays, Jews and whatever other group happens to be in the news. It's usually not funny. This latest comment was especially racist in nature and since it was directed at college athletes - aimed at a particularly undeserving group of people. He has rightly been condemned for the comments and has rightly apologized for them. But, let's use this incident to learn and come together - not to create another fault line in this country where Americans have to yet again choose a side to be on.

No comments: