Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tuesday Roundup

I really don't have much of anything to blog about but I hate to go too long without posting something. Basically, I have been working more than ever, even as the economy melts away. Seems that more work for less pay is the legacy of this past generation of economic policies. It's been heading there for some time, but at least where I am at, more is expected of us while less is given. The Republican economic dream come to fruition.

Sports wise, my FSU Seminole stunk up the joint this weekend against the Gators. With half our players suspended or in jail and the other half limited in their talent, it's another year of decline under the stewardship of Bobby Bowden.

The Dolphins on the other hand are starting ... starting, to get their act together. They still could make a push for a wild card slot this year, but the most encouraging sign is that they are winning. They are ugly wins, but this year is different because they are actually notching the victories. I'll take ugly wins over ugly losses anytime.

I think the Obama cabinet picks are very strong. I am a strong believer in pragmatism and it seems my support is being vindicated because Obama is too. It's so funny - all these years I was called a radical liberal and all these years I was saying I was pragmatic and manic only in my desire to rid the nation of self proclaimed (and misnamed) "Conservatives". Most people had no idea what I was talking about. They bought into the "us vs. them", "liberal vs conservative" game and chose a side. As I have said many times, I am not a political "movement" kind of guy. Movements don't work - it's forcing an organized belief system on the inevitability disorganized human condition. I say: find out what works and do it. Be pragmatic and don't try to change the world to fit your beliefs. Thank God Obama understands that.

I have been playing around with a long post but I don't think it's ever going to get finished. So, let me sum it up from the 12 paragraphs my rough draft is currently in, to a few choppy sentences (Editing - so hard to do). You'll get the drift.

- Went to a bar after a particularly bad day on Wall Street.
- Had to sit next to some wealthy Republican. Neither one of us looked pleased.
- I broke the uncomfortable silence and forced a start to a conversation.
- He said (of the current economy) "We are all in this together"
- I thought he was full of bull -- how could HE relate to ME? Gimme a break!
- We actually talked for hours learning about our different lives and economic situation.
- I came to understood what he meant by "We are all in this together"
- While we all may be in different places, we are all together in our UNCERTAINTY
- Rich & poor Americans are in the same boat, not knowing if we will keep our job or pay our bills
- No matter where we are now - we are indeed all in this mess together.
- In a way, this is a good thing, in that it reminds us of our similarities and mutual vulnerabilities.

That's all for today, Have a good one!!

No comments: