Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Suprising Shoe Story

I'm sure all of you have seen the video of the Iraqi reporter throwing his shoes at President Bush. I call this story "surprising" for these reasons.
1. When I saw the tape I felt real anger toward the reporter, real sympathy toward Bush and real pride that Bush handled it as smoothly as he did. Give him credit, he ducked away perfectly without looking wimpy and his comments afterwards put the best face possible on the incident. This is surprising because, as you know, I think Bush is the worst president ever and has caused more widespread suffering than anyone in American history. Still, my initial instinct was that he is our President and I don't appreciate people throwing stuff at him. I know it was only shoes, but if they had hit him, they would have broken his nose, knocked him out or worse. I guess I simply don't like violence - even towards George W. Bush.
2. I was surprised at the good aim of the reporter. Seriously, that guy knows how to throw shoes! He had perfect aim.
3. I was surprised at the US Secret Service. Where the hell were they? How in the world was that guy allowed to throw not one but two shoes at the President? They better be more on the ball than that for Obama.
4.I am surprised at the world reaction. I expected a mix of my type of disdain with maybe a little joking around about it. Nope. The middle east, and much of the rest of the world is celebrating this! The level of hatred for George W. Bush is much deeper than I realized. When millions celebrate and revere a person who throws shoes at Bush, it says something about his standing in the world. Also, it reminds us that the Iraqi people, for the most part, resent the war and do not feel grateful for their "liberation".

No comments: