Friday, October 31, 2008

My Big Fat Pre-Election Blog

I have been thinking so much about the lead up to the election, the election itself and what is going to happen after, that it's been impossible to put all these thoughts into the written word. One huge advantage radio has over blogging is that on radio, I would have hours to say everything that is on my mind. Over the course of hours and days, I could completely flesh out my ideas, thoughts and opinions. If all I did was blog it would be the same. However, to do that I would have to write constantly and edit endlessly. I certainly don't have the time for that, so here is some stuff thrown out there for what it's worth.

THE RACE IS TIGHTENING The McCain / Palin ticket is making up ground in this election and I am very worried. Believe it or not, the negative campaigning, name calling and "Joe the Plumber" nonsense is pushing the button of the very people who are hurt most by Republican policies. There is also real hate being generated out there by the GOP and that's also working. It is beyond sad to see millions still buying into a philosophy that could not have failed more clearly. I have to give it to the Republicans, one thing (perhaps the only thing) they do well is frighten and fool people. If McCain and Palin win - they certainly won't have much of a nation to govern. One half, their half, are intellectually useless ditto heads and the other half will just walk away from the process after seeing hard work, pragmatism and honesty rejected again by the voters.

RESULTS ON WEDNESDAY? Voting day and night will probably be chaotic. Look at the lines now an imagine what it will be like Tuesday. In Red states there will be efforts to prevent people from voting and that will cause problems and delays as well. I doubt we will have a result until Wednesday because I think people will be waiting in lines until after midnight all across the nation and it will take a long time to count the record number of votes. If the race is close, it will take even longer for a winner to be projected. I would not be surprised if a winner was not declared until Wednesday afternoon or evening.

WHAT'S THE FUTURE OF SARAH PALIN? There has been much discussion as to the future of Sarah Palin. Many feel she will be rejected by the GOP and thrown under the bus or will float away due to her lack of gravitas. I strongly disagree. I believe that Sarah Palin will be the symbolic leader of the GOP (if they lose next week) and she will take the party in an even uglier direction. I know it's hard to believe in this day and age, but she has no problem with blatant race bating and fear mongering. She IS another George Wallace and she is not going anywhere. I also suspect that many hard right wingers will move to Alaska, in the event of an Obama victory, and that state will become a hotbed (pun intended) of White Supremacy and other far right activities and strategies. She will begin running for President on her own almost immediately, and will have something close to torch bearing followers standing behind her the whole way.

GET OUT THE KLEENEX. I think this Tuesday and Wednesday will see more Americans crying than any day in history, maybe even including 9-11. Why? Think about it. No matter what, I think most Obama supporters will be crying. If he wins, it will be such a relief, such a change, a real end to our long, long nightmare, it will be impossible not to get emotional about it. If he loses, well there will certainly be a lot of tears too. I don't know about how McCain voters will react. Some might cry if he loses or win, but I expect either anger or obnoxious boasting. Tears not so much.

MQAblog 2009? I have also been thinking about the future of my blog. I have worked hard for more that 15 years on radio and on line to alert people to the dangers of the right wing. I have seen from the start that this is not simply a difference of political philosophy, but a real difference of intent. I believe that the movers and shakers in the Conservative movement don't care about America. They are simply using our democratic freedoms to paralyze people into fear and hatred so they can make billions of dollars and run international policy to their liking. They just say what they have to, to assure loyalty from their misinformed followers. I have long believed that most of their followers are naive to what going on. I have no doubt that I have been proven correct. So if Obama wins, much of my work will be done. That's not to say that the Right Wing will disappear. On the contrary. They will be smaller but much more nasty, hateful and even violent. It will be very, very ugly and will need constant monitoring. But now, with the Internet and blogs, there are many who now see this and can fight this fight. I'm not sure I have the energy to do it any more. If Obama looses then I will really give it up. It will be clear that the American people are not interested in logic and reason and my efforts to enlighten and educate are pointless. Democracy will have failed this country and I, for one, will no longer see discussion and debate as a productive use of my time.

PREDICTIONS I don't have any new predictions for Tuesday. I did predict way back when that Obama would win the Presidency so I stand by that. However, I have seen victory snatched away too many times and with the tightening polls I just fear the worst. I just plead with everybody to go out and vote - no matter how long the lines. While you are standing there, think about what 4 years of McCain and Palin would mean. Think about how Republicans would never fear being held responsible for anything if they are elected to the White House again despite the complete mess they have made. Think about situation we are on and ask yourself if rewarding hatred and lies is the best way to start the nation's healing and recovery.

LAST DAYS OF OLD AMERICA Next week this country and the world will change. One week from now, things will be completely different. Have no doubt about that. We could finally break away from this dark cloud and begin to move in the right direction, or we as a nation, could just fall off the cliff into hopelessness, fear and despair. If the hatred of the McCain/Palin campaign is rewarded, it will increase exponentially throughout the bloodstream of America. Hope would have been defeated and therefore extinguished for a generation. Democracy will have lost it's luster and faith in the American dream will disappear - likely forever. The world will never look at us with respect again and for good reason. However, if Obama wins then it will allow Americans to believe again. Believe that competence is preferred over rhetoric, facts over fear, hope over hatred and unity over divisiveness. Next week things will be completely different. Old America will either start it's resurgence or complete it's decline. Whichever, it will be different, sudden and noticeable. It will be change.

No comments: