Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Super Night

A Tuesday as Super as yesterday will take some time to fully understand and analyze. But here are some quick thoughts. First of all, I woke up today to find that Missouri, the state I have been pointing to as the bellwether state for Democrats, had switched from a Clinton win to an Obama win. I hope that is indicative of not only yesterday, but of the contests to come. That's to say that Clinton has strength and the traditional machine but Obama has the momentum for the future. This is the trend I am seeing right now. Obama is excelling in places that he is able to visit, spend time in and talk to the people. Early voters are trending Clinton, but those who have more time to listen to Barack are gravitating to him. This could be a very good thing in the weeks to come and is already benefiting him in the delegate count.

One the Republican side, my man Huckabee shocked the world once again by winning states all through the south. If John McCain is able to hang on to the nomination he will almost certainly be forced to choose Huck as his #2. But watch out, I still think there is a chance that Huckabee could have more surprises in store. One development I will be watching for is the abandonment of Romney by the talk show types and I wonder if they will now move to Huckabee. I bet Huck is wondering and hoping the same thing. Sure, they have slammed him in the recent past, but people forget that they also hated Romney up until it became apparent (in their mind) that he was the only choice to face off against McCain. I would not be surprised if these right wingers flipped flopped once again and jumped on the Huckabee bandwagon. Also, this is the time where Huck should start to campaign against John McCain. Huck is good at that and I'm sure he already knows what he will say to bring him down.

I'll pour over the result more today and in the days to come and try to share my thoughts as they come. On a personal note, I had so much fun watching all the returns. I was trying to watch 2 or 3 TV stations at a time, listen to the radio and serf the web. Finally about 3am I threw in the towel, put on a rerun of Frasier and fell asleep. I am just waking up now (got the morning off) and am looking forward to seeing what else has developed overnight.

No comments: