Monday, February 11, 2008

Sugar Substitutes Not So Sweet

I have always shunned away from artificial sweeteners. I try to eat healthy but have no fear of sugar. Eaten moderately, sugar is a natural product that makes just about anything taste good. So no diet sodas for me - give me the real thing every time. Well, in addition to my reservations about the artificial nature of these sweeteners comes evidence that they actually make it more difficult to lose weight!
...A sweet taste might be a sign that "calories are coming, and I should prepare my body for the arrival of those calories." However, when the sweetness is not followed by a lot of calories, the body's digestive system gets confused, and the metabolism rate does not gear up as much the next time sweetness is tasted.

No comments: