Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tuesday's Random Thoughts

Let me share some thoughts that have been running around my head but never quite made it on the blog.

I'm thinking of having some people over for Thanksgiving but I know I don't want to cook all day. Basically, I want the unrealistic scenario of me sitting in my chair, watching my TV, eating my food, drinking my beer and if other people want to come by and hang out - fine! So I thought maybe I could order some food and let me, Sarah and the guests enjoy it without me having to be the chef. Well I looked up FreshDirect, a supermarket specializing in delivery, and behold - they do have full meals for the Holiday! Unfortunately their complete Thanksgiving dinner is .... $249.99! So I think I'll just make some baked ziti and if I have people over, they can bring their own food (and sit anywhere but in MY chair).

I'm getting the feeling that the political mood of the country is shifting so dramatically that Rudy Guliani and Hillary Clinton will NOT be the nominees of their party. I like Ron Paul, but some of his ideas are too way out there for me. He will do well in New Hampshire but I believe (my GOP favorite) Mike Huckabee will eventually be the Republican nominee. On the other side of the aisle I like Chris Dodd - but why does he end almost every sentence with the word "here"!?! Listen - you'll notice. It is really bizarre. I'd be surprise if a drinking game hasn't sprung up from this. I think (my 1st choice) Barack Obama will get the Democratic nomination. I am a little wary of these predictions because both my favorites NEVER win and I feel I might be wishing more than thinking. We'll see if it is Huckabee vs. Obama in the general election.

There is a very popular phrase "It is what it is" going around that I just hate. Sure, that phrase has been around forever but it seems to be the hip saying right now. Unfortunately, anytime it is said it is because something sucks and we are all expected to just live with it. I hate it when things sucks, I hate it when people shrug and say "oh well" and I hate it when people say "it is what it is" every time those circumstances occur.

I think that "texting" is one of the best things to come out of the mobile phone revolution. It quicker and more convenient that a telephone call. You can read them at your convenience and it is a great way of exchanging information or pleasantries without being bogged down talking to someone about unrelated stuff. You can read and type in public without disturbing other people and you can even text yourself directions or reminders and refer to the messages at the appropriate time. Texting is great and one of the pleasant surprises of this electronic age. If you text and want to text with me, let me know. Many phone plans have free texting so why not get in on the fun.

The weather here is getting very cool and I just love it. It's invigorating, refreshing and so much better than the sticky nastiness of New York summers. First snow flurries should be here at anytime and you can bet that I will report it here on MQAblog.

Enjoy the day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for bakes ziti!!! Woo HOO! I can't wait... baked ziti, some tasty garlic bread... perhaps some drumsticks... and looooooooooots of relaxing ;)

Jeff Briscoe said...

I can't stand "It is what it is" either. Like you said, it has been around for awhile. Didn't hear it a lot because it really adds nothing to a point at all. However, athletes have taken to using it in order to appear deep and consise at the same time. It may accomplish the later but it certainly fails at the former. And it's naturally caught on with everyone else in the tv/pop world in which we live.

I detest this nearly as much as the phrase "At the end of the day." That's another sports cliche that has made it's way into the pop lexicon. Again, it's been rendered meaningless and yet used more often than ever. And the worst part is that this is often used om conjuction with the other one too.

Generic Question for sports, politics, news, etc: "So moving forward, how do you feel about today's events?"

Cliche answer: "Well, at the end of the day, it is what it is."

Thanks. That's deep stuff man.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard one of those in the past few years, I'd be a thousand-aire at least!