Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Final Season, The Final Game

Sunday is the final game ever at Yankee Stadium. I just found out that it will be an all day fun fest. That's gonna be great!!! And, for once, there is no rain in the forecast. I sure am glad that I didn't sell my ticket and that I don't have to work AT ALL on Sunday.
If "The Stadium" could talk, THIS is how it would say good bye.
I don't like to blow smoke, but my death is unlike any loss seen before in America. I am tangible Americana, like Independence Hall, the Alamo or Graceland. I have been about more than baseball. The first papal mass ever celebrated in the Western Hemisphere? That was me. The first overtime game in NFL history? Me. The birthplace of the "DEE-fense! DEE-fense!" chant? Of the Bronx cheer? Of the triple-decker ballpark in this country? The electronic scoreboard, the replay video board, the "Win one for the Gipper" aphorism, what it means to get Wally Pipped, the standing applause on two-strike counts, the running leap onto home plate to punctuate a walk-off homer? Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me and me.

No comments: