Saturday, April 19, 2008

Weekend Roundup

Since I have less time and energy to blog lately .. I have been compiling a list of stories for a big weekend roundup. Sure, there's the usual bashing of things I don't like ... c'mon I use this thing to vent... but there is also some interesting and funny stuff here. Enjoy!

I read this early in the week and it interested me in so many ways. The author, Granny Doc, hypothesized that Bill Clinton is suffering from "post bypass surgery cognitive dysfunction."

QUIZ: What religion is in the news because of their practice to do this to their members ... "indoctrinate from birth to believe disobedience will lead to their damnation". Well, that doesn't really narrow anything down does it? Here's the answer.

QUIZ 2: What Radical Liberal said this? Countries that act unilaterally on the world stage undermine the authority of the United Nations and weaken the broad consensus needed to confront global problems" Answer

If you haven't seen this video of a water balloon bursting in super, duper slow motion then check it out!

The President has been rebuffed in his effort to restrict health insurance for children. I'm sure he is frustrated at the fact that his conservative dreams and schemes are once again found to be unlawful.

I forget where I first saw this but there is a website that you might want to check out. In an effort to explain the habits and habitats of a shrinking population why not take a few minutes to browse Stuff White People Like.

Hard to believe but Newt Gingrich was once believed was a genius! (Only slightly above average intelligence, Newt is like the girl with 3 teeth when all others are toothless - the Belle of the right wing Ball) Well, Newty has now used his superior intelligence to dismiss that knucklehead Ben Franklin when it comes to the quaint old concept of liberty.

It's the Pope at Yankee Stadium! That sentence alone brings a smile to my face. The reason is that way back in 1987 or '88 I got hold of a mix tape from London (was living in Tallahassee at the time) with what was called "House" music. Back then it was not very big anywhere - especially not in the States. Anyway .... House music was the first to really sample and mix various non musical audio clips over a steady beat to give us the (now) familiar Techno sound. Back then it was new, very exciting and the soundtrack to dozens of parties I threw. One song, perhaps the most memorable, contained an audio clip (from where I have no idea) that said "It's the Pope at Yankee Stadium". Whenever that song came on everyone would scream "It's the Pope at Yankee Stadium". Even when there wasn't a party, people in the know would say "It's the Pope at Yankee Stadium" to reminisce about the last party or get psyched up for the next one. There is a possibility that the Pope mobile will pass by my window Sunday morning (if he doesn't use a helicopter) ... I'll keep an eye out. If so, I'll give him a smile, a wave and scream out a line I haven't said in years and may not get the chance to ever repeat ... "It's the Pope at Yankee Stadium"

Speaking of the Pope... I guess I sort of made fun of him the other day but in all honesty, his trip in the USA has gone pretty well. I appreciate the fact that he has met with victims of abuse and with leaders of other religions. I really have no critiques at all about what he has done here so far. Heck, I even enjoyed looking at some pictures from his trip to D.C. taken by a conservative blogger that I somewhat like to somewhat hate.

Starbucks has been handing out coupons for free cups of their new Pike Place roast coffee so I got about a hundred of them. It is an improvement on their nasty old roast coffee which I wrote about here a while back. The price is right too!

Speaking of fast food places ... McDonald's is promoting their "Sweet Tea" up here which is simply a big cup of sweetened iced tea. One of the things I miss up here is the bank of fountain beverages that greets visitors to almost any convenience store in Florida. They don't have that up here and on hot days I would love to get a 99cent monster cup of something. But instead, I have to buy a $1.69 20oz bottle of it. Not the same. Even though the thought of a large, sweet tea sounds great ... I'm not waiting in a long, slow McDonald's line for it!

No comments: