Thursday, March 15, 2007

REVIEW: Fab Faux plays "Last" Beatle album NYC 3.13.07

As you all know I was very excited to see the Beatle cover band the Fab Faux perform on Tuesday night. Overall it was a good show, but I have to tell you it was a little bit of a disappointment. Not terrible or not even bad - just not great. I expected great.

Door time was scheduled at 8:00pm and I arrived at the venue about 8:10. I was a bit late and unsurprisingly the line was so long it stretched all the way around the block. I got in the back of the line and noticed two things. One, the line wasn't moving. Two, the line was right next to an Irish pub. Well, you can guess what followed. I went into the pub to have a couple pints of Harp while keeping an eye on the ever lengthening line. I may be the last one in, I thought, but at least I will have a beer or two in me. Finally the line moved and I got into the place just before 9. The venue, Webster Hall, is absolutely beautiful. There are numerous bars in the five story establishment and while the line seemed infinite, once I got inside there was loads of room to watch the show. The only down side was that the place smelled. It didn't stink of trash or sewage or anything but it had that too familiar New York City scent of undiluted Pine Sol. Let me tell you, they don't use Pine Sol here as an additive to water when they mop.They don't mop the way I was taught: First with soapy water, then a clean mop and finally with another clean mop again. Nope. They use it straight up here to saturate floors in a single coat. When I walked in my eyes were delighted by the amazing club (absolutely beautiful) but the overpowering chemical smell went straight to my (soon to be throbbing) head.

The music sounded fantastic, but the band really seemed somewhat unprepared for the opening night show. Keep in mind, this was the first time they had played this particular show in public. While these musicians are among the most talented in the world, the band as a whole lacked organization and gave the impression of being unrehearsed. (Somewhat understandable since they only get together for these special shows - but I expected more professionalism from the front men). On at least 3 occasions they stopped playing a song after misfiring at the beginning. The musicians - including the singers - almost never let their eyes stray from the sheet music in front of them. And while they are not a "wigs and noses" band it would have been nice if they had coordinated their attire or at least worn something that didn't look like they had just rolled out of bed. Only Erin Hill, who played multiple instruments and sang back up, seem to be feeling the music and provided the only visually appealing sight on stage. Also worth noting was the excellent drumming and (John) vocals by Rich Pagano. The horns section and the back up players also did exceedingly well. Sadly, the main band members looked as if they were goofing around in their garage. I expected a serious tribute performed by serious musicians. After all, they were paying respects to the best band in history (IMO). The Fab Faux has a great concept and a plethora of talent but on this night they did not put it all together in a cohesive way. An edited album of the night's music would make for entertaining listening. But to see the sometimes amateurish mishandling of the set was a surprise to me. I have seen hundreds of concerts but this was my first in New York City. I was surprised at the lack of organization and stage presence.

So if the sound was great and the show was so-so is it possible to determine how that "next" Beatle album would have turned out? I think so. From the opening song "Photograph" by Ringo to the various solo releases by the other members, the 2 hour show recreated and improved all those familiar tracks released in the immediate aftermath of the Beatles' break up. Well, while I enjoyed hearing every song I am surprised to find myself thinking - for the very first time in my life - that the Beatles may have spilt up at the right time. The music was good, but compared to Rubber Soul or Sgt Pepper's or even Let it Be, this "next" album fell far short of that standard. So I will say this only once in my life - Thank you Yoko Ono.

Yuk that didn't feel very good at all.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I am so sad for you that the show didn't live up to its expectations. I know what a huge fan you have always been. Everything DOES happen for a reason!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. My expectations were exceedingly high so it was probably unrealistic to get the life changing spiritual moment that I had somehow convinced myself would occur.

I have been looking for any other mention of the show and found only 1 from well known commentator Eric Alterman. He said:

Last night I went to see a wonderful show by the Fab Faux, in which they, together with a horn section, a string section and at least seven backup singers, cooked up a fantasy post-Beatles album called "Hot as Sun" made up of the best of the boys' early solo material. It was also a rare thrill. I mean, most of these songs had never been played live. And the Fabs are not a tribute band, all dressed up and stuff, they are a bunch of terrific musicians who dedicated themselves to doing justice to the material the band never played live. (The Beatles stopped touring in 1966 and never played live again, save the rooftop gig for "Let it Be.") And when you add up all those songs, particularly George's, and then pick and choose -- it comes out be just as great as the late Beatles' albums. Hearing it live in a room full of fellow nerds at Webster Hall was weirdly terrific.
http://mediamatters.org/altercation/200703150008#10

I agree that the place was filled with Beatle nerds and that it was great to hear these songs played. His expectations were probably lower and his tolerance for Pine Sol is probably higher than mine.

Anonymous said...

I should note that Eric Alterman attended the Wednesday night concert while I went to opening night on Tuesday.