Friday, February 23, 2007

Scooter Verdict Soon

I have been far too busy lately for my own liking so haven't been able to pontificate on all the news that I may want to. One story I have not really talked about is the Scooter Libby trial. As I get ready for a long night at work, I realize that the verdict could come down today.

Anyone who has been following the case would have to admit that the man is guilty. He leaked the name, he lied about doing so and his story about forgetting about it is quite unbelievable. There is just an overwhelming amount of evidence showing that he had a well thought out strategy, at the direction of the VP, to smear Joe Wilson and his wife. Any fair look at the facts demonstrate that there is no way he could have suddenly forgotten all about it when questioned by the FBI and the Grand Jury. Scooter Libby committed a felony and perjured himself.

I worry though that he will not be found guilty. Why? The jury selection process. While lawyers always try to choose sympathetic jurors, the Libby team insisted that those who sat on the jury had to trust the White House and could in no way think that Cheney, Bush or the Administration was dishonest in any way. What a small group of Americans that would be! Not only small, but think about who is left that trusts this White House. Only right wing partisans of the most extreme. That's why I worry that at least one of the people of the jury will put political party over justice. I fear a hung jury or even a not guilty or minimal verdict of guilt dispite the damning evidence. As you all know too well, I feel many followers of the GOP do so with total disregard for facts or reality. All they need is one of these folks on the jury to set Scooter free.

I hope I am wrong.

No comments: