Monday, July 7, 2008

A Great Night at the Stadium

For more years than I care to count, I have watched the New York Yankees on television - cheering them on as they played in "The House That Ruth Built". Last night I saw those Yanks beat the dreaded Red Sox in extra innings. It was a great night at the Stadium.

I have been to dozens of Yankee games now over the past three seasons and I always find myself stopping to pause and think how lucky I am to be able to do that. Sunday night though, the halfway point of the final season at the Stadium, an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia really took me over. As I crossed the Macomb Dams Bridge watching The Stadium grow closer with every step, I realized that this may be the last night game and the last game against the Red Sox that I would see at the original Yankee Stadium.

I hang out with a group of people at my regular seats: Sarah, Jason, Chris, Josh, Rich and others who are always there for the Sunday games. Last night, I walked over to The Stadium on my own as everyone else was running late. I go almost exclusively to afternoon games, so it was an unusual treat to stride toward Yankee Stadium in the twilight. I got there a half hour early which is about 60 minutes before I usually get there, thanks to those I know who are part of the 90% of people who just can't get anywhere on time. (Really, when did being punctual become extraordinary?).

As I took my seat before the game, I slowly scanned the stadium as if it was the first time - or maybe the last time - taking in every chair, every sign, all the field and even every light on the monstrous bank of floodlights that I have seen on television all my life. With no one around me engaging in pre-game banter, in the early evening darkness - it was nice to sit alone and drink in the atmosphere and think about how many Red Sox/Yankee Sunday night games I had watched on TV over the years, never dreaming I would get to see one in person.

It was a classic game, the lead going back and forth and electricity in the sold out stands at a fever pitch. As with any TV game, they do drag on because of all the commercial breaks, but I didn't mind at all. By the time the game moved into the 10th inning, all my friends who had arrived in the 2nd, had left to go home, understandable with them having to work on Monday. So I sat nearly alone during the 8th, 9th & 10th, taking in, once again, all the wonder of the evening and the joy of an extra inning victory for the Yankees.

In a way, I was a little bit disappointed that we won so quickly. If there was any time, I was ready, willing, able and WANTING to sit around for countless hours, it was last night. With tomorrow off and the feeling of nostalgia that had solidly set in me, I was willing to be the last guy in the stands watching the 22nd inning at 4 in the morning.

As I strolled back home around midnight, I could not wipe the grin from my face that had been there all evening. It was a good win for the Yankees and that made me happy. But, more that that, it was an early appreciation and a first good bye to a historic house that makes me feel like a little kid at Christmas every time I walk inside.

No comments: