Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Football's Shame

Monday night I was snug in my bed getting ready to drift off to sleep. I had the local 11 o'clock news on to see what I should expect in the way of weather for Tuesday morning. As a "teaser"the sports guy said something like "looks like the Patriots* winning streak is coming to an end". Of course, I immediately switched over to ESPN to see the good news. What I saw was the most disturbing 3 minutes of football I had viewed in some time. Now, I have had the displeasure of seeing many painful games in my day. The 1974 Christmas eve game where Kenny Stabler threw a last second TD pass as he was falling down to beat the Dolphins and ruin my holiday was first but there were many, many more. The "historic" comeback by the Chargers (1980?)verses the 'Phins and countless wide right or left losses by the FSU Seminoles. Monday's game might rank right up there. I just couldn't believe how the Patriots*came back. Dubious calls and multiple second chances. Well, as I suspected, the team that cheats, the organization that has put the very credibility of the NFL on the edge may have remained undefeated because of shady officiating. Watching the game I noticed that too. Why the NFL would want the Patriots* to keep winning is beside me. Frankly, they should have been disqualified and handed a loss for at least the first game against the Jets, where they were CAUGHT cheating. At this point the Patriots* are the Barry Bonds of football - bringing shame and dishonor to a great sport. But perhaps, in a controversy reminiscent of recent NBA troubles, the Patriots* also have some officials on the payroll too. Seems unbelievable, but after watching the end of the game Monday, you really have to wonder. Listen, no matter what happens this season, the 2007 Patriots* are a team of disgrace not accomplishment. The NFL should correct things now before things go from bad to worse.

No comments: